Skip to main content

ESC 2016: MACEDONIA, BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA, GREECE AND SERBIA REVIEWS

A couple of artists returning in this one, a country returning and one country returning to more autenthic sound. And here are the other two non-English including songs besides Austria this year.
MACEDONIA - KALIOPI - DONA
(Romeo Grill)
Kaliopi returns to Eurovision after her 2012 experience. Once again she was internally selected - due to public demand by her fans it seems - and her song is written by her ex-husband.

Blogilkar: I adore Kaliopi. This out of the way let's get to the song. It wasn't quite what I expected after 2012 and her songs since. It's been labeled dated and oldfashioned and boring and ridiculed with references to donuts. The fact remains she's amazing live and can make this work on stage no mattr what. And I do like the song, too. It starts off a bit like a lullaby but even if I don't understand a word I believe every word. She deserves the final as this is a real song, not manufactured for Eurovision. 9
Jack: The Macedonian queen is back. No, this song isn't as good as her 2012 effort but it's still gorgeous. A tad old fashioned but I think people will like that, and the juries will for sure. I'm sure us Brits will remember this as the donut song... 7.5
Peter: Simple melodic tune, the language and the singer's voice gives the song a bit of mystery, but I'm not sure the styles of the singing and the rock match well.. So I don't expect it to do well. 4,5
Robert: Kaliopi is a rofessional and a personality. More than listening to the studio version you should experience her singing live and the song, even if in Macedonian, hits you right in the heart. I expect a place in the final thanks to her great interpretation. The song is a grower, traditional and timeless but when she does it live you are swept away. 8
Michele: We all agree Kaliopi's talent and voice are outstanding, but Dona isn't quite in the Crno i belo's league. It's a bit tired at birth, with poor and oldfashioned arrangement, a bit like mid 90's Sanremo song. I'm not even sure she will make the final. 5
Markus: She is back ….. The fans love her but will the jury and the tele voters will love her as much?  I cross fingers because she is a lovely lady! Good luck! 5
BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA - 
DALAL & DEEN feat. ANA RUCNER and JALA - LJUBAV JE
(Almir Ajanović, Jasmin Fazlić)
Also Deen is a returning artist (He did 2004) and Bosnia & Herzegovina is a welcome returning country with an internally selected act. He's got company from a singer, a rapper and a violinist. And apparently the team spirit is not so good; the author of the song is left home after a bar fight with the artists....

Blogilkar: When I heard this for the first time I loved it. Then I have cooled down a bit. But it's full of Balcan pathos that I like. The orchestration screams old school Eurovision. Extra points for singing in Bosnian. The violin is great. And I even like the rap bit. Without it this could have been Bosnia circa 1990. 7,5
Jack: This is beautiful. I'm so pleased Bosnia decided to return. It's refreshing to hear a language other than English in the contest. I'm not too keen on the rapping but I can live with that as the rest of the song is epic. If there's any justice, they'll do incredibly well. 9
Peter: First impressions of this song is ethnica, but it takes too long for the introduction. The melody is strong, though the style is outdated and unlikely to get the audience to vote for them. I don't expect B&H to get to the final, but you never know.
Robert: It took some time to like this but now it finally got there. It's not an easy song and unpredictable at times which is nice in the long run. It's very Balkan that I rate positive and it's great they sing in their own language. I doubt they reach the final though as the song needs more listenings to appreciate it. 8-
Michele: A song like this would have made sparks about ten years ago. Now the Balcan countries have played the ethnic ballad card a bit too many times. The problem is it's the same song every year and it doesn't matter it comes from Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro.... Almost certain finalist with minimal risk. Personally I'm getting bored. 4,5
Markus: I am a big fan of Balkan songs … This one started off very good but as soon the rap turns in the song is ruined.....Thanks at least for singing in your own language and welcome back Bosnia. 5

GREECE - ARGO - UTOPIAN LAND
(Vladimiros Sofianides)
Greece sends an internally selected unknown band, something that has angered some fans. They also move away from  mainstream bubblegum pop to more ethnic sound with some rap included.

Blogilkar: Another very old school Eurovision that is 2010's only thanks to the rap. It will be interesting to see how this does but I wouldn't be surprised if Greece qualifies for the final once again. And I kinda wish it will, to the horror or fans! I enjoy this. Propably the staging will be epic. 6,5
Jack: I'm sorry but if there's any justice Greece's 100% qualification will be broken this year. I hate the rapping, the chorus is pretty annoying.... bleaah. 2
Peter: Well Greece is nog going for their second win with this song. It's too ethnic and I don't think it will get to the final.
Robert: Very catchy song with nice beats and traditional instruments. I like it. I only heard it today because I didn't bother listening it as I only heard and read it's so bad. Well, I disagree completely! I love it. 7,5
Michele: It's very hard for me to like the Greek entry as I don't like rap nor speak Greek so the text has no impact whatsoever. I also find the female vocal timbre in the chorus very bad and can't think it will sound any better live. Even from the musical point of view this isn't very convincing. This is maybe the worst Greek entry ever. Are they missing the final for the very first time? 2
Markus: I like if countries try different things... And Greece do that this year. I am sure they make a stage performance televoters will remember. 6

SERBIA - SANJA VUCIC ZAA - GOODBYE (SHELTER)
(Ivana Peters)
Sanja Vučić aka ZAA was also internally selected, apparently after original choice Ivana Peters was too busy elsewhere but she got her song anyways to the contest as the author. 

Blogilkar: She's fabulously overdramatic. A real song, good melody and it would be interesting to hear Kaliopi belt this out. Jazz divas and Nina Zilli come to mind when looking at her but it's also a pleasure to listen to this. A quality act Serbia can be proud of. 9
Jack: The Serbian version of Nina Zilli? I actually love this song. She's amazing live and even though Serbia isn't among the favourites, I think she could be a dark horse. The juries will love her as I do already. 8
Peter: Ok entrance, but nothing too special. Sanja's voice is not the most inspiring, and the song just isn't that good. The buildup and climax just doesn't have any kick to it. Not a qualifier. 3
Robert: Well, this was one of my favorites at the beginning after she presented it with a great video with an over the top Amy Winehouse presentation. I loved it. Now I saw her perform it on a couple of pre-parties and although she sings ok live, the presentation does not have this quality as I'd like to see and the song got a bit less interesting for me. 7+
Michele: A song that grows with time and is even more convincing if you see her performing. She's a force of nature, charismatic with great voice, relaxed and very friendly. A rather classic power ballad that convinces, mainly thanks to her. 7
Markus: Epic sound, great voice! I hope her performance will not be over loaded and too much … I like that kind of production! 8


And how wonderful this is in Serbian?


Check out the other reviews: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2013: SERBIA'S BIG GUNS

Serbia is one of the most succesful Eurovision countries in the recent years and this blogger 's favorites. This year I am again very curiously waiting for their entry and what they will offer us when they have a national final once again after last year's internal selection. Many bigger and smaller names have been rumored to have sent a song, or have confirmed so themselves. Among then a 63-year-old disco diva Neda Ukraden , Eurovision veteran Vukašin Brajić 's OT Band, Danijel Pavlovic who is Marija Serifovic's step-brother, national final veteran Ana Nikolic and other names like Nenad Cvijetic , Dejan Petrovic, Zejna , Ivana Pavkovic , Vanja Mijatovic .... Let's see who really are in when the final 15 out of 80 will be announced for the March 2, 2013 final. These 15 will be cut to five for the superfinal by televoting. Then we have Bojan Bjelic , who apparently was sending his song Mora before he decided not to blaming the contest is fixed and Serbian

Summer songs: Samantha Fox & Sabrina - Call me

Summertime is the time for cover versions and remixes. The late 1980's war of the boombs is over when Samantha and Sabrina put their bras together and cover Blondie's Call me in peace and harmony. Amore, chiamami!

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

Blogilkar exclusive: PASHA PARFENI INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert managed to get hold on Pasha Parfeni from Moldova today who has become during this week pretty big favorite to do well. How did he end up in Eurovision, what his goals are and is his granny better than the ones from Buranovo? And will we get a cover album full of Eurovision later on? Find it out here: Why do you want to participate in Eurovision? That's a very difficult question... I want to be a star! A worldstar, ha ha! But I know it's not easy even in Eurovision, only Celine Dion and ABBA have made it. But I can make myself a bit more known, it's good for promotion. After Eurovision I will finish my album and my promo-CD already has nine songs. We will recod maybe 4-5 more and it will make a good album. With what result will you be happy here? Happy? … Top-10! Then I'll be absolutely happy! So if you don't get to the final you will be totally depressed? Yes, maybe... Yes, it would be hard. For me and my team. What are y

Et voilà! Anggun presents Echo (You and I)

So today we finally heard the French entry in Eurovision 2012 in Baku by Anggun. Echo (You and I ) is rather bizarre mix of many things and just when you think you get it the songs takes a turn to another direction. Whistling all along. Very catchy it is. Call it an earworm if you want. Still I wouldn't scream a winning entry but... we will see. In Patricia Kaas like ending me thinks.

Blogilkar Exclusive: RAMBO AMADEUS INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert met Rambo Amadeus in his hotel this morning and what an interesting and entertaining meet it was! Unfortunately the time wasn't enough as this man has lots to tell about many topics. However, here are the main things! Thank you Rambo for this interview and first of all, how an earth Montenegro wanted you to represent them in Eurovision? I don't know! I really don't know. I didn't want to ask any questions why they wanted me. So they came to you, you didn't go to them? Of course. Everybody comes to me..... And everybody knows you and that you are bit, maybe a lot, Eurovision skeptic. Why did they come to you then? Well, I think they want the audience to pay attention to them? I think the new, young and ambitious director of RTCG decided to do some kind of shock therapy. He probably thinks there's nothing to lose. I asked him "Are you sure? Do you know my work?" and he said yes. I think they are learning how to g

REMEMBERING MARILYN MONROE

It's 50 years since Marilyn Monroe passed away on August 5, 1962. Her legend still lives on and there's no doubt she got "it". Probably very much misunderstood and surely underrated she remains one of the biggest stars on this planet ever. How many fans have really seen her movies, I mean all of them? Not only the 2-3 most successful ones where she played pretty much the same dumb blond? Thee's so much more to her if you watch all her work.... And had she lived. She would be 86 now.  Like this .